Friday, July 30, 2010

Make up Evangelism by Make Up Snipers

Perhaps you have been in this scenario before because it happens to me ALL the time...I was at Wal Mart (or Target or the library or the pool) and this nice lady approaches me and starts talking to me about something somewhat relevant to me. Then after about three minutes she says, "Hey, can I ask you a question?" or "You have been so nice to talk to, I'd love to get together and tell you about (named cosmetic company.)"  I always know what is coming...always. And it makes me cringe. I'm really sorry if you are one of those cosmetic ladies, but I am just too nice to say no. So I usually get wrangled into some conversation about this make up and the woman is so passionate about how this product can revolutionize your life either by becoming a consultant or by using the product. But I'm not in this conversation because I'm even remotely interested in the product. I'm in the conversation because she approached me and started talking about something that was going on with me right then. She had me at hello.

This kind of had me feeling guilty. I realized that I have something even better than make up, something eternal that I need to be "selling," but often I am too busy doing my shopping or playing that I don't realize who is around me. I don't see the lost people who really do need my Product. I still couldn't figure out the problem with this "Mary Kay Evangelism" as I like to call it. Then it hit me, as I was being attacked by yet another, more clever Make Up Sniper.

They were ungenuine.

They pretended to be my friend, to be interested in me, to find out my needs so that they could sell this product. That was where Christians needed to, and should be, different.

As we live our lives and go about our business, Christ always needs to be on our minds. We need to be understanding that the world around us is lost. He is the product that everyone needs. The thing is, though, we need to be genuine. To really care about those who are around us and realize that we are not benefitting from sharing our faith, in fact it often costs us our time and sometimes resources. These are nothing, however, to the price that Christ has given so that ALL can spend forever with him.

It doesn't have to be difficult, ya know? It should be completely natural. As you meet people and see their needs, go and tell what Jesus has done for you. How has he revolutionized your life? When you have that passion for how he has changed you and loved you, you will find that it is easy to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment